- What are the symptoms of a UTI in older adults? August 15, 2018
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) can affect people at any age. However, UTIs are one of the most common causes of infection in older adults. Symptoms of a UTI in older adults may include restlessness, …
- The war on disease: Revisiting old haunts August 10, 2018
By doubling back and re-examining familiar components of the cell, scientists are finding new ways to approach difficult-to-treat diseases.
- Belly fat linked to cognitive decline August 6, 2018
In the largest study of its type, researchers conclude that older adults who carry more belly fat are more likely to see a reduction in cognitive ability.
- Agitation in dementia: Are drugs the best treatment? August 5, 2018
Two common symptoms in people with dementia are agitation and psychosis. Now, a panel of experts explains how best to manage them, and which drugs do work.
- Existing drug may prevent Alzheimer's August 4, 2018
Alzheimer's disease is a progressive neurodegenerative disorder with no known cure. Can an existing drug prevent it from developing in people at high risk?
- Dementia: Both too much and too little alcohol may raise risk August 2, 2018
A large study with a follow-up period of 23 years concludes that both long periods of abstinence and long periods of heavy drinking raise dementia risk.
- Vitamin D: Recent research uncovers new benefits August 1, 2018
Vitamin D draws a great deal of scientific attention. In this Spotlight, we delve into recent research and explore the vitamin's disease-fighting powers.
- 'More potent' Alzheimer's therapy is on its way July 31, 2018
Researchers identify better techniques for the development of more effective Alzheimer's therapy. This may allow them to tackle the disease in the brain.
- Contact sports increase Parkinson's disease risk July 29, 2018
Contact sports can lead to brain injury, which is why they are associated with dementia. New research explains why they may also increase Parkinson's risk.
- Blocking one enzyme could help treat many chronic disorders July 27, 2018
New drugs for diverse inflammatory diseases — from Alzheimer's and Parkinson's to cancer and osteoarthritis — may come from the discovery of a new target.