- Dementia: New risk factor examined September 20, 2018
A number of risk factors are known for dementia; these include hypertension, a sedentary lifestyle, obesity, and smoking. A new study may add another.
- Can daytime sleepiness predict Alzheimer's? September 9, 2018
According to a new study, there may be a link between daytime sleepiness and an increased risk of developing Alzheimer's later in life.
- Are dementia symptoms worse in winter? September 7, 2018
A new study investigating seasonal variation in cognitive ability concludes that more people reach the threshold for a dementia diagnosis in winter.
- Alzheimer's: How does tau disrupt brain cells? September 5, 2018
Tangles of tau protein are a hallmark of Alzheimer's disease. Now, scientists have uncovered a new mechanism through which tau disrupts brain cells.
- Dementia: 10-year risk estimates may inform prevention September 5, 2018
A new study provides 10-year estimates for dementia risk, focusing on age, sex, and genetic predisposition. This may lead to early preventive initiatives.
- Existing liver drug can help treat Alzheimer's September 3, 2018
An existing drug used to treat liver disease could also be effective in Alzheimer's disease, researchers find. Better Alzheimer's therapy is much needed.
- Stroke significantly increases the risk of dementia August 31, 2018
In the largest analysis of its type to date, researchers conclude that stroke significantly increases the risk of developing dementia in older age.
- Fighting Alzheimer's with 'decoy receptors' August 30, 2018
Using an innovative approach, scientists move one step closer to a treatment for Alzheimer's. Learning how to tame the brain's immune system is vital.
- Cannabis and some conditions hasten brain aging August 23, 2018
A study of blood flow in 128 brain regions in 30,000 people aged 0–105 years has identified behaviors and disorders that speed up brain aging.
- Alzheimer's tied to brain's 'waste removal system' August 23, 2018
A new study links Alzheimer's toxic waste buildup in the brain to the functioning of the 'cellular waste removal' system: the endolysosomal system.