- Keto diet may protect against cognitive decline October 16, 2018
Our diets can influence the state of our health. Research in mice now suggests that one regimen — the ketogenic diet — may even prevent cognitive decline.
- Antidepressants could stave off dementia October 15, 2018
The findings of a new study suggest that some antidepressants may block the growth of toxic plaques in the brain, thus helping to treat dementia.
- How do hearing and sight influence cognitive decline? October 12, 2018
Hearing and sight loss are tied to faster cognitive decline, so does addressing these issues slow down cognitive deterioration? New studies investigate.
- Atrial fibrillation increases the risk of dementia October 11, 2018
People with atrial fibrillation (irregular heartbeat) face an increased risk of dementia, a new study warns; but common drugs may keep that risk in check.
- What is the difference between dementia and Alzheimer's? October 9, 2018
Dementia is an umbrella term that describes symptoms affecting memory and cognitive function. Alzheimer’s disease is a specific, and the most common, type of dementia. The conditions overlap in terms …
- Can apathy predict dementia? October 9, 2018
Predicting who will develop dementia is difficult. Researchers are testing various biomarkers, but a recent study asks whether apathy might provide a clue.
- Exercise could benefit early-onset Alzheimer's September 28, 2018
New research supports the idea that physical activity delays cognitive decline and other changes in the rare early-onset form of Alzheimer's disease.
- Alzheimer's: Groundbreaking plan aims to target root cause September 26, 2018
Now that scientists agree that oligomer protein deposits cause Alzheimer's, an international team has detailed a plan for developing drugs to target them.
- Alzheimer's burden will double by 2060, warn CDC September 25, 2018
The first study to ever predict Alzheimer's prevalence by race and ethnicity estimates that the United States burden of the disease will double by 2060.
- Dementia: New risk factor examined September 20, 2018
A number of risk factors are known for dementia; these include hypertension, a sedentary lifestyle, obesity, and smoking. A new study may add another.