Parkinson’s disease is a condition in which an area of the brain becomes progressively damaged over several years. The main signs of Parkinson’s disease are tremor, slow movement, stiff and inflexible muscles. There is currently no cure for Parkinson’s disease. However, treatments are available to help reduce symptoms and maintain quality of life for as long as possible.
- How ultrasound could help curb Parkinson's June 10, 2019
Mouse study shows that focused ultrasound and injected microbubbles can help curb early Parkinson's disease by allowing drugs to access the brain.
- Parkinson's: New gene therapy shows promise for prevention June 7, 2019
Researchers from Japan have tested a new gene therapy against Parkinson's disease using mouse models. Their results suggest that the approach is effective.
- Bipolar disorder may increase risk of Parkinson's May 28, 2019
A recent study concludes that experiencing bipolar disorder during adulthood increases the risk of developing Parkinson’s disease later in life.
- Using EEG data to diagnose Parkinson's disease May 27, 2019
A team of researchers behind a new study believe that an EEG could be a noninvasive and affordable way to detect Parkinson’s disease.
- Study finds evidence of 'clear relationship' between appendectomy and Parkinson's May 10, 2019
A study of 62 million people in the United States finds that those who have had their appendix removed are more likely to develop Parkinson's disease.
- Can a blood pressure drug protect the brain from Parkinson's? April 23, 2019
At blood levels that are typical in humans, an approved high blood pressure drug was able to clear toxic proteins of Parkinson's disease from mouse brains.
- Do people with Parkinson's disease smell different? March 21, 2019
With the help of a 'super smeller,' researchers conclude that those with Parkinson's disease smell subtly different. The results may aid earlier diagnosis.
- Manganese and Parkinson's: Mechanism may explain link March 15, 2019
New research discovers a mechanism that may explain why exposure to manganese induces Parkinson's symptoms. The findings may aid diagnosis and treatment.
- Parkinson's: Study reveals how cancer drug reduces toxic protein in brain March 13, 2019
An analysis of trial results reveals the mechanism through which the cancer drug nilotinib increases brain dopamine in people with Parkinson's disease.
- This sleep disorder puts people at 'very high risk' of Parkinson's March 6, 2019
A large study found that those who experience a certain sleep disorder are also at high risk of Parkinson's disease, but this knowledge can aid prevention.