Parkinson’s disease is a condition in which an area of the brain becomes progressively damaged over several years. The main signs of Parkinson’s disease are tremor, slow movement, stiff and inflexible muscles. There is currently no cure for Parkinson’s disease. However, treatments are available to help reduce symptoms and maintain quality of life for as long as possible.
- Scientists propose new theory of Parkinson's disease November 12, 2019
In a new review of the evidence, scientists propose two main types of Parkinson's, depending on which part of the nervous system the disease originates in.
- Parkinson's: New treatment approach shows promise in brain cells October 18, 2019
A new study suggests an innovative strategy for tackling an enzyme that is typically affected in Parkinson's disease. The findings show promise in neurons.
- What is a neurologist? October 17, 2019
Neurologists specialize in diagnosing and treating conditions that affect the nervous system. Here, learn about the conditions they treat and the procedures they perform.
- Looking for links between Parkinson's and bipolar disorder October 15, 2019
According to a recent review, individuals with bipolar disorder may have an increased risk of developing Parkinson's disease later in life.
- What to know about acetylcholine October 11, 2019
Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter that plays a key role in brain and muscle function. Here, we look at what acetylcholine does and describe medical conditions linked with it, including Alzheimer’s a …
- Parkinson's disease: Scientists review male and female differences September 27, 2019
In a new review, scientists sum up the role of biological sex in the development, features, mechanisms, risks, and treatment of Parkinson's disease.
- How 'exergaming' can help people with Parkinson's September 22, 2019
New research investigates the benefits of an at-home computer game exercising program for people living with Parkinson's disease.
- Could estrogen help treat Parkinson's? August 13, 2019
Several studies have hinted at the neuroprotective effects of estrogen. A recent study in mice looks at how it might defend against Parkinson's disease.
- How a gut infection might spark Parkinson's July 19, 2019
Scientists are still unpicking the processes involved in Parkinson's. A new study ties together bacterial infection, mitochondria, and the immune system.
- What are the side effects of amantadine? July 3, 2019
Amantadine is a drug that helps treat Parkinson's disease. This article takes a close look at the side effects of amantadine, which can range from mild to severe.