Parkinson’s disease is a condition in which an area of the brain becomes progressively damaged over several years. The main signs of Parkinson’s disease are tremor, slow movement, stiff and inflexible muscles. There is currently no cure for Parkinson’s disease. However, treatments are available to help reduce symptoms and maintain quality of life for as long as possible.
- January 23, 2020Could a probiotic prevent or reverse Parkinson's?
Scientists recently tested probiotics in a roundworm model of Parkinson’s. A particular bacterium had a protective effect and improved symptoms.
- January 13, 2020New study could 'drastically' change how we understand Parkinson's
New findings about Parkinson's disease mechanisms may change doctors' understanding of its development and even alter the way in which they treat it.
- December 18, 2019Cancer drug shows promise in Parkinson's disease safety trial
A small clinical trial of nilotinib in people with Parkinson's disease finds that the cancer drug is reasonably safe and holds promise as a therapy.
- December 11, 2019Transport breakdown in brain cells may lead to Alzheimer's, Parkinson's
New research in mice and flies suggests that failure to transport molecules that break down proteins in neurons may lead to neurodegenerative diseases.
- December 1, 2019Parkinson's: Ultrasound technology may relieve symptoms
New research shows that a special ultrasound technique can significantly reduce tremors in people living with Parkinson's disease.
- November 27, 2019Causes and treatments for twitching fingers
Many issues can cause finger twitching. Some are harmless, while others are more serious. Read on to learn about the potential causes and their treatments.
- November 26, 2019Study links some antibiotics to a raised risk of Parkinson's disease
New research suggests that certain antibiotics in common use may increase the risk of Parkinson's disease, likely because of their effect on gut microbes.
- November 12, 2019Scientists propose new theory of Parkinson's disease
In a new review of the evidence, scientists propose two main types of Parkinson's, depending on which part of the nervous system the disease originates in.
- October 18, 2019Parkinson's: New treatment approach shows promise in brain cells
A new study suggests an innovative strategy for tackling an enzyme that is typically affected in Parkinson's disease. The findings show promise in neurons.
- October 17, 2019What is a neurologist?
Neurologists specialize in diagnosing and treating conditions that affect the nervous system. Here, learn about the conditions they treat and the procedures they perform.