People are living longer than ever before, and many seniors live active and healthy lives. However, as we age, our bodies and minds change. There are things you can do to stay healthy and active as you age, and it is important to understand what to expect. This category includes news on the biology of aging, demographics, continuity of care, quality of life, care needs, longevity and lifestyle.
Seniors and Aging
- Repairing leaky blood-brain barrier may rejuvenate brain function December 6, 2019
New research in mice suggests that a leaky blood-brain barrier can accelerate brain aging, and that targeting inflammation can reverse some changes.
- Alzheimer's risk gene and heavy metal exposure may impair cognition December 6, 2019
New research in mice suggests that exposure to cadmium can lead to cognitive decline in those with the Alzheimer's risk gene APOE4.
- Study reveals how diabetes drug promotes healthy aging December 5, 2019
Doctors often prescribe metformin for type 2 diabetes. A new mouse study on its liver mechanisms may explain its wider benefits for health and life span.
- What are the benefits of neem oil for the skin? December 3, 2019
Neem oil contains natural compounds that may support skin health in various ways. Here learn more about the potential benefits and risks of neem on the skin.
- Parks with irregular shapes may boost longevity December 2, 2019
A new study finds that parks with complex, irregular shapes and more access points are associated with a lower risk of premature mortality.
- Parkinson's: Ultrasound technology may relieve symptoms December 1, 2019
New research shows that a special ultrasound technique can significantly reduce tremors in people living with Parkinson's disease.
- Board games may stave off cognitive decline November 28, 2019
Newly published research finds a strong association between playing non-digital games and experiencing less cognitive decline in older age.
- Rapamycin has anti-aging effect on human skin November 27, 2019
A small study reveals that rapamycin, a drug with a long history as an immune suppressor, can improve tone and reduce wrinkles and sagging in human skin.
- Extra virgin olive oil may protect against various dementias November 27, 2019
A new study in mice finds that extra virgin olive oil prevents the toxic accumulation of tau protein in the brain and keeps memory intact.
- Can the gut microbiome unlock the secrets of aging? November 24, 2019
A new study finds that gut bacteria from old mice can help rejuvenate the neurons of younger ones, suggesting that gut bacteria are key to aging.