People are living longer than ever before, and many seniors live active and healthy lives. However, as we age, our bodies and minds change. There are things you can do to stay healthy and active as you age, and it is important to understand what to expect. This category includes news on the biology of aging, demographics, continuity of care, quality of life, care needs, longevity and lifestyle.
Seniors and Aging
- How frontotemporal dementia affects 'moral emotions' June 17, 2019
Scientists find a key difference between Alzheimer's and frontotemporal dementia: the latter affects a person's 'moral emotions' while the former does not.
- Mouse study finds enzyme that prolongs life June 16, 2019
New research in mice finds that an enzyme found in the blood of young rodents can extend life and promote healthy aging in older mice.
- Low vitamin K may reduce mobility in older adults June 14, 2019
Researchers found that older adults with vitamin K deficiency were more likely to develop mobility disability, such as difficulty walking and using stairs.
- How is education linked to Alzheimer's progress? June 12, 2019
New research asks to what extent, if any, a person's level of education is linked to the presence of Alzheimer's disease and the rate of cognitive decline.
- 3 interventions could prevent millions of cardiovascular deaths June 11, 2019
A new Harvard study argues that implementing three heart health interventions at a global level could save millions of lives in the next couple of decades.
- What to know about eyebrow hair loss June 8, 2019
Many factors can cause thinning or hair loss in the eyebrows, including hormonal imbalances, diet, some health conditions, and certain medications. This article looks at the causes and treatments for …
- Can blood pressure drugs help reduce dementia risk? June 5, 2019
A large study analyzing the medical data of thousands of people suggests that dementia incidence is lower among those who take blood pressure medication.
- Could perking up gut bacteria promote healthy aging? June 4, 2019
A new study in animals has found that the gut immune system of aged mice was almost the same as that of younger mice after fecal transplants.
- Yoga keeps the mind and body young, 22 clinical trials show June 4, 2019
Evidence from 22 randomized clinical trials suggests that yoga practice can improve both physical and mental well-being in older adults.
- Scientists discover anti-aging potential in old drug May 29, 2019
The discovery of a second cell target for the immunosuppressant rapamycin could help its development as an anti-aging, neuroprotective drug.