People are living longer than ever before, and many seniors live active and healthy lives. However, as we age, our bodies and minds change. There are things you can do to stay healthy and active as you age, and it is important to understand what to expect. This category includes news on the biology of aging, demographics, continuity of care, quality of life, care needs, longevity and lifestyle.
Seniors and Aging
- How to stimulate appetite August 23, 2019
Appetite stimulants include various medications and supplements, as well as lifestyle strategies. Learn more about how to stimulate appetite here.
- More of any physical activity tied to longer life August 23, 2019
New research using motion sensor data has linked being more physically active at any intensity to a markedly lower risk of early death.
- Blood pressure in our 30s and 40s has lasting impact on brain health August 23, 2019
A new study finds that blood pressure changes in our 30s and 40s can have lasting effects on our health and links these to brain changes in our 70s.
- What chronic illnesses are people with HIV more likely to experience? August 20, 2019
An 'umbrella review of meta-analyses of observational studies' zooms in on the conditions that people living with HIV are at risk of developing.
- How to improve your memory: 8 techniques to try August 15, 2019
Brain function and memory naturally decline slightly as a person ages, but there are many techniques people can use to improve memory and prevent its loss. Learn about them here.
- Social activity in your 60s may lower dementia risk by 12% August 15, 2019
One of the most reliable studies of its kind has tracked participants over a 28-year period and found that greater social activity can lower dementia risk.
- 'Intensive blood pressure management' may preserve brain health August 14, 2019
Intensively controlling blood pressure can improve brain health and reduce the likelihood of developing mild cognitive impairment, new research finds.
- Osteoporosis drugs may lower mortality risk by 34% August 14, 2019
Two recent studies reveal that people who take the correct medication for osteoporosis appear to have a significantly lower risk of premature death.
- Could estrogen help treat Parkinson's? August 13, 2019
Several studies have hinted at the neuroprotective effects of estrogen. A recent study in mice looks at how it might defend against Parkinson's disease.
- 7 'simple' steps for heart health may also stave off dementia August 8, 2019
New research examines the link between heart health at 50 years of age, and the risk of developing dementia 25 years later, on average.