People are living longer than ever before, and many seniors live active and healthy lives. However, as we age, our bodies and minds change. There are things you can do to stay healthy and active as you age, and it is important to understand what to expect. This category includes news on the biology of aging, demographics, continuity of care, quality of life, care needs, longevity and lifestyle.
Seniors and Aging
- Exercise especially important for older people with heart disease October 13, 2019
A study on the effect of exercise on older adults in physical rehabilitation shows that those with the greatest impairment at baseline benefited the most.
- Slow walking speed in midlife linked with faster aging October 12, 2019
A new study finds that a slow walking speed at the age of 45 correlates with premature cognitive and physical aging, and that slow gait may predict aging.
- Aging and cancer: A surprising two way relationship October 4, 2019
Although aging is the greatest risk factor for cancer, a recent study demonstrates how aging cells might, paradoxically, hinder cancer progression.
- What to know about sagging testicles October 4, 2019
As a normal part of aging, the scrotum loses elasticity, and the skin starts to sag. Some medical conditions can also cause the skin to appear saggy. Learn more about saggy balls and how to treat them …
- 6 ways to tighten loose skin October 3, 2019
There are many causes of loose, sagging skin, including aging, rapid weight loss, and pregnancy. Learn about ways to prevent and tighten loose skin here.
- 95% of people think they could develop dementia with age September 30, 2019
A large scale global study from ADI and the London School of Economics and Political Science examines the attitudes of people toward dementia.
- Everything you need to know about pebble poop September 25, 2019
Pebble poop is small, pellet-like stool, and it is usually a sign of constipation. In this article, learn about the possible causes, as well as treatments and home remedies.
- Financial hardship may accelerate aging September 22, 2019
What is the impact of poverty on the process of biological aging? New research investigates, zooming in on the effect of 4 years of economic hardship.
- How 'exergaming' can help people with Parkinson's September 22, 2019
New research investigates the benefits of an at-home computer game exercising program for people living with Parkinson's disease.
- Can exercise slow down Alzheimer's? September 19, 2019
A new proof-of-concept study finds that people with Alzheimer's biomarkers in the brain who exercise frequently experience slower deterioration.