People are living longer than ever before, and many seniors live active and healthy lives. However, as we age, our bodies and minds change. There are things you can do to stay healthy and active as you age, and it is important to understand what to expect. This category includes news on the biology of aging, demographics, continuity of care, quality of life, care needs, longevity and lifestyle.
Seniors and Aging
- January 15, 2020Study sets blood pressure target for people over 80
Newly published research sets a different standard for hypertension and what constitutes optimal systolic blood pressure for people aged 80 or older.
- January 15, 2020Ageotypes: Why do people age differently?
Stanford University researchers have identified four different biological pathways for aging. This finding may help people slow down aspects of old age.
- January 15, 202010 causes of an itchy face
A person might experience an itchy face for a variety of reasons. In this article, learn more about the possible causes and how to treat them.
- January 14, 2020Marathon running may reverse a risky part of the aging process
The findings of a new study suggest that training for and running a marathon for the first time can 'turn back time' on a person's vascular age.
- January 7, 2020Osteoporosis: Researchers find another possible risk factor
A new study has found an association between poor bone health — which can be a sign of osteoporosis — and exposure to high levels of air pollution.
- January 5, 2020Could hydration levels influence cognitive function?
A new study found a link between inadequate hydration and poorer cognitive functioning, especially in memory and attention tasks — but only in older women.
- January 4, 2020What causes Alzheimer's? Not toxic amyloid, new study suggests
The findings of a new study suggest that the accumulation of toxic beta-amyloid proteins in the brain may not be the cause of Alzheimer's disease.
- January 1, 2020Misconceptions may lead to dehydration in older adults
By conducting interviews with older Londoners, researchers have revealed a range of misconceptions that may result in serious dehydration.
- December 31, 2019Unhealthful diet linked with vision loss later in life
A new study finds an association between the Western dietary pattern, which is high in unhealthful fats and sugars, and age-related vision loss.
- December 22, 2019Finding life's meaning can keep us healthy as we age
A new study in older adults has found a strong correlation between having found meaning in one's life and having good overall health.